A friend introduced me to an interesting site with color prompts to inspire new work. The first one was #deepkomaru. I looked through my work and found lots of pieces where I used this color... probably some combo of french ultramarine and burnt sienna, one of my go-to-combos.
The next week's prompt was #amaranth, but I didn't have time to post anything. The following week was #clovergreen, so I decided to combine the two colors for some experimentation.
I went to Adobe Kuler color schemes
plugged in the two colors, and played around with triads, complementary and analagous colors, etc. I liked this combo (not exactly clover green... and tried to match the combo using watercolors.
It's pretty tough to match screen colors to watercolors, but here is my attempt. The first green was hooker's green with a touch of alizarin. The amaranth was close to alizarin crimson. The light green was really hard to get, but the closest I came was veridian (a blue green) with a touch of lemon yellow (a green-learning yellow). The browns were straight burnt sienna, with varying degrees of hookers green.
At any rate, it was a fun exercise, and I learned a few things along the way.
Today, we're having a blizzard watch in New England, winds howling, snow/sleet pelting, and I'm snug inside. Here's an old piece from a Scholastic book I illustrated about Squanto's role in the founding of Plymouth. Sure am glad I don't have to gather wood for the fire!!! (Blueberry pancakes and bacon coming up!)