Cheryl has a degree in elementary education, and graduated from Rhode Island School of Design with a BA in illustration. She currently teaches classes through Rhode Island School of Design/CE.
Cheryl graduated from Lebanon Valley College in PA in 1972, and taught 4th and 5th grades in Smyrna, Delaware.
She returned to school and graduated from Rhode Island School of Design with a BA in illustration.
Although she has been a full-time illustrator since then, she has continued to work with children by visiting schools as an artist-in- residence, thanks to grants from the Rhode Island State Council for the Arts Artist's in Education Program.
Residencies that she has worked on include:
- Literacy through Art projects with 1st - 3rd grades in Warren, Rhode Island for four years.
- Book-making with 7th-8th grades at Roger Williams Middle School in Providence.
- A collaborative website project with 3rd and 4th grades at George J. West in Providence.
- She has also been a co-presenter for Cultural Voices on several occasions, a RISCA sponsored multidisciplinary teacher workshop.
TEACHING AT RISD
Instructor for Children's Book Illustration Certificate Program
Cheryl also teaches classes, including children's book illustration, to college age and adult students at Rhode Island School of Design-continuing education.
- Book Dummy (fall)
- Intensive Weekend Workshop in Watercolor
Cheryl also teaches a 6-week, 2 full days a week, intensive class for degree students during Summer Sessions at RISD.
PROGRAMS AND PRESENTATIONS
Cheryl is available to do school visits as well as presentations at illustrator, teacher and librarian conferences and workshops. All of her presentations can be adapted for age.
Cheryl will come to a school for up to four 45-minute presentations per day, with up to two classrooms at a time for each talk. She has several presentations to choose from.